Tuesday, May 29, 2012

THE GIRL BEHIND THE GLASS by Jane Kelley

Kelley, Jane. The Girl Behind The Glass. Random House Children’s Books, 2011. ISBN-13: 9780375862205. $16.99.


Special Feature: Review by an elementary school student.

The Girl Behind The Glass by Jane Kelley is a book that is abundant with mystery. This book attracted me to it because the front cover looked mysterious and sinister. It seemed like the perfect one! I took it home and read it immediately. The main characters in the book are 11-year-old twins Hannah and Anna, along with a peculiar creature. Hannah is a curious and clever girl who loves to read. She can also hear a voice that others can’t. Anna is a smart and likable girl who also loves books. The creature is a lonely and determined soul. I can relate to Hannah and Anna because I absolutely adore books! I am like the creature because it cares for others and has a light temper. The overall plot of the book is to get back at a lady named Mildred because she really mistreated the creature when they were young. One of the important events in the book is when Selena, the twins' sister, senses that something is lurking in her closet. Another critical event is when someone’s life is in serious danger and Anna finally hears the voice that Hannah has been hearing. This book definitely made me feel curious and sometimes worried. I love getting that nervous feeling when something spooky is about to happen!

I had a lot of favorite parts, but, overall I enjoyed the part when the twins planned to scare Selena. They terrify her and she becomes completely freaked out! I connected to the book because I have a sister and we like to play pranks on each other just like Hannah and Anna do to Selena. This book made me realize that it is important to do the right thing. It doesn’t matter who it is or what it is, it just always feels good to be nice, even if you really dislike that person.

The Girl Behind the Glass starts out kind of slow, really picks up in the middle and in the end leaves you hoping that there will be a second book! I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys spooky stories with a cheerful twist. When you pick up this book, prepare yourself for a great read!


Review by Sydney Korovec, 5th grade

No comments:

Post a Comment